About Saber

About Saber DNA Results

Saber is a GSD/Siberian Husky mix with a few other bits and pieces in his DNA.

Following a DNA test it turns out he is 75% German Shepherd and the other 25% is made up of Siberian Husky/Belgian Malinois  and Belgian Tervuren.

Saber DNA
Saber’s DNA Report

About Saber Activities

Quite a mix creating an active (very active) dog indeed. Saber demands at least 4-5 hours a day most of this taken up on the beach tide allowing of course.

On the days we can not access the beach Saber and I walk the parks or the Cleveland way, sometimes we visit the woods locally or go in the car.

Saber loves the woods nearly as much as he does the beach.

The Car Is Not His Friend

He is not as keen on travelling in the car though and can suffer from travel sickness. It took quite a while to train him to get in and out of the car.

I spent most of that time feeding him in the car and keeping his favourite toys in there. This way he felt better about getting into the vehicle. We then slowly worked up to sitting in the car with the engine running.

Eventually moving on to small 5-10 minute rides to the park or the beach. All this made him have a bit more trust in the car and helped him to associate the car with good things.

While doing this he had a vets appointment for his yearly injections. So as not to ruin his association  with the car I walked the hour there and hour back.

All in all this strategy seems to be working and hopefully longer car rides will become the norm for him, but for now it’s still slowly slowly..

Safe to say Saber loves his days out and so do I. Lets hope the days out continue for a long time to come. 

About Saber
Saber in the car ready to go…

Gerberian Shepsky

Do you want a dog with the intelligence, discipline and devotion of a German Shepherdand the happy-go-lucky attitude, luxurious fur and high energy of a Siberian husky?

Well you’re in luck – a relative handful of breeders produce just such dogs, and they are typically called Gerberian ShepskiesProduced by mating a German shepherd with a Siberian husky, Gerberian Shepskies often exhibit traits common to both species, although some clearly take after one side of the equation or the other.

The Basics About Saber

Like their originators, Gerberian Shepskies are large-bodied working dogs with an average height for both males and females landing between 20-25 inches. Each individual Shepsky’s weight depends on their diet and overall lifestyle but typically averages between 45-88 pounds. As a hybrid, Gerberian Shepskies are prone to better health but can inherit some of the health problems of their originators. Most common health issues are digestive problems, blood disorders, and eye issues. Gerberian Shepskies have a lifespan of 13 years.

Gerberian Shepsky Essential Facts:

  • *Personality: *Friendly, trainable, and lovable
  • *Energy Level: *Very active
  • *Barking Level: *Moderate, increases when left alone
  • *Shedding: *Moderate
  • Grooming: Twice a week
  • *Good with Children: *Yes
  • *Trainability: *Very good, High intelligence level aids training
  • *Height: *20-25 inches 
  • *Weight: *45-88 pounds
  • *Life Expectancy: *10-13 years
German Shepherd and Husky Mix Facts
Breed TypeMixes and more
PurposeFamily or Guard Dog
Suitable ForFamilies with children
Size22 to 25” (male) or 20 to 22” (female)
Weight55 to 80 pounds (male) or 45 to 60 pounds (female)
Lifespan10 – 13 years
Color VariationsTan, brown and black, or grey and white
TemperamentLoyal, protective, outgoing, intelligent and playful
Activity LevelsUpwards of 120 minutes per day
Daily Food ConsumptionAn inactive Gerberian Shepsky will require up to 1,600 calories per day while an active dog requires 2,400 calories per day (split between two meals)
Known Health IssuesElbow and hip dysplasia, cataracts

Saber actually grew to 27 inches and weighs in at just under 40 kgms. Making him a big strong dog indeed. Having previously been the proud owner of Great Danes, Saber never looks big to me.

I have had friends say they think he is a large dog for his breed. I say about Saber, I don’t think so, but hey it is all subjective.

If you have any questions about this breed feel free to contact me or use the comments section below.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.